Students of all genders will connect on Zoom to explore concepts and engage in practices that cultivate valuable tools to help them thrive in high school and beyond. This course will meet twice/week for four weeks.
* Dr. Kristie Engel, PhD (she/her) – Licensed Psychologist, Certified Trauma-Sensitive Mindfulness Practitioner & MSC-T Teacher
* Heather Montague, MS (she/her) – Learning Specialist, Certified Trauma-Sensitive Mindfulness Practitioner & MSC-T Teacher
(click name below for teacher profile)
We are living in a time of unprecedented change and uncertainty. Current events, including the global pandemic, compound the already significant challenges of adolescence, leaving teens even more vulnerable to stress and disconnection. Mindful Self-Compassion for Teens (MSC-T) is an empirically supported, 8-session program designed to foster the skills of mindful self-compassion, helping teens to cope more effectively with the concerns of their day-to-day lives–even in extraordinary circumstances.
In this class, students will learn strategies to:
* calm their minds
* relax their bodies
* be less overwhelmed by intense emotions, social comparison and their inner critic
* motivate themselves with kindness instead of harsh criticism
* clarify their values and stand up for what matters to them
* be more present to enjoy the good things in their lives
* recognize they are not alone in their experiences
* feel more connected to others
Preliminary research finds that MSC-T participants experience many benefits including decreased stress, greater resilience and increased well-being. The program also includes a workshop to support and empower parents and caregivers as they navigate adolescence with their teen.
Investment: $350 (If cost is a barrier to participation, please inquire about our partial scholarships)
Thoughts or Questions? Please contact Heather via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call/text (202-427-3394). To learn more about MSC for Teens, visit https://centerformsc.org/msc-teens-adults/
Kristie and Heather meet with individual families (parents & student) for a brief orientation (20-30 minutes) to answer questions and share more about the program. If you would like to determine if this program is a good fit for your teen, please complete our interest form (link below under “register”), starting with your email address. After we receive your confidential responses, we will send a “welcome” email with some additional information and options for the orientation. We look forward to learning more about your teen!