Students of all genders in 6th – 8th grade (2020-2021) will meet online via Zoom to explore concepts and engage in practices that cultivate their ability to face life’s challenges with greater ease.
This course will meet Tuesday and Thursday afternoons, July 14 through August 6; 2:00-3:30 EDT / 1:00-2:30 CDT
* Dr. Kristie Engel, PhD (she/her) – Licensed Psychologist & Trained MFY Teacher
* Heather Montague, MS (she/her) – Learning Specialist & Trained MFY Teacher
We are living in a time of unprecedented change and uncertainty. The current pandemic compounds the already significant challenges of adolescence, leaving young people even more vulnerable to stress and disconnection.
Making Friends with Yourself (MFY) is an empirically supported, 8-session program designed to foster the skills of mindful self-compassion, helping students to cope more effectively with the concerns of their day-to-day lives–even in this extraordinary time. Research finds that those who complete the course experience many benefits including decreased stress, greater resilience and increased well-being.
In this class, students will learn strategies to:
* calm their minds
* relax their bodies
* be less overwhelmed by intense emotions, social comparison and their inner critic
* motivate themselves with kindness instead of harsh criticism
* clarify their values and stand up for what matters to them
* be more present to enjoy the good things in their lives
* recognize they are not alone in their experiences
* feel more connected to others
MFY also includes a workshop to support and empower parents and caregivers.
Thoughts or Questions? Please contact Heather via email (email@example.com) or call/text (202-427-3394). To learn more about Mindful Self-Compassion (MSC) youth programs: https://centerformsc.org/msc-teens-adults/
Dr. Engel and Ms. Montague meet with individual families (parents & student) for a brief orientation (15-20 minutes) to answer questions and share more about the program. If you would like to determine if MFY is a good fit for your middle school student, please complete the form below (under “registration”), starting with your email address. After we receive your confidential responses, we will send a “welcome” email with some additional information and options for the family orientation. We look forward to learning more about your child!