Embracing Your Life
Embracing Your Life: An Online Course in Self-Compassion is an online course created specifically for young adults age 18-30. Recognizing that the emotional challenges of this age group are different from that of teens and older adults, we created this course to target the specific needs of young adults. For example, learning self-compassion can help young adults make healthy decisions about career or vocational choices, relationship issues, and living situations. The online format makes this course accessible to young adults everywhere who have internet access. The price of the course was intentionally kept low so that those in college or just starting out in their careers would be able to participate in the program.
NOTE: No experience with mindfulness or any other meditation practice is necessary to take this course!
This course meets on Thursdays starting February 4th to March 10th, 2021 from 9:00 – 10:30 PM UTC (4:00 – 5:30 PM EST).
Content and Format:
Embracing Your Life contains material from both Mindful Self-Compassion and Making Friends with Yourself, both of which are evidence -based programs that have been linked to less anxiety, stress and depression. New exercises specific to this age group are also included. Embracing Your Life meets weekly for six weeks, for approximately 1.5 hours per session and is taught live by a certified Mindful Self-Compassion or certified Making Friends with Yourself teacher.
Like MSC and MFY, Embracing Your Life provides young adults with the opportunity to explore how they typically respond when difficulties arise in our lives and to learn tools for becoming a warm and supportive friend to themselves. Although Embracing Your Life offers conceptual learning, it is designed to be more experiential than theoretical.
In other words, Embracing Your Life is nothing like taking a college course, per se. It’s not a strain on your brain. In fact, after the class is over each week, you will likely feel more rested and more at ease. It is more of an experience, involving guided meditations and discussion about what the experience of the guided meditation was like.
Embracing Your Life is therapeutic, but it’s not therapy. We don’t talk about deep emotional issues you might have and we don’t try to analyze why you might feel the way you do. It’s about building resilience skills so that you can meet emotional challenges when they arise, as they do in life.
This is what you get if you take Embracing Your Life:
- Live sessions once weekly
- Optional small group meetings between classes
- Email contact with the teacher (online one-to-one chats if necessary)
- Opportunity to participate in a research study
- Audiorecordings of meditations
Objectives of Embracing Your Life:
- Develop self-compassion practices to motivate oneself with encouragement rather than self-criticism
- Manage difficult situations with greater acceptance and less emotional pain
- Respond to feelings of failure or inadequacy with self-kindness
- Understand differences between self-compassion and self-esteem
- Clarify one’s own core values and learn how to use them to guide decision-making
- Deal with difficult relationships with strength, resilience, and kindness
- Learn how gratitude and taking time to appreciate oneself lead to greater contentment and joy
- Apply core mindfulness and self-compassion practices into daily life
- 3 Soothing Breaths (1 min)
- 3 Soothing Breaths (5 min)
- A Moment for Me (5 min)
- A Moment for Me (10 min)
- Compassionate Body Scan (10 min)
- Compassionate Body Scan (15 min)
- Compassionate Friend (10 min)
- Compassionate Friend (15 min)
- Loving-Kindness for Ourselves (10 min)
- Loving-Kindness for Ourselves (15 min)
- Loving-Kindness for Someone You Care About (15 min)
- Music Meditation w/VO (10 min)
- Music Meditation w/VO (15 min)
- Soothing Touch (1 min)
- Soothing Touch (5 min)
- Soothing Touch Again (1 min)
- A Person Just Like Me (formal)
- Giving and Receiving Compassion (formal)
- Here and Now Stone (1 min)
- Here and Now Stone (5 min)
- Soles of the Feet (1 min)
- Soles of the Feet (5 min)
- Affectionate Breathing
- Palm of the Hand