Prerequisites for attending a MSC Teacher Training are:
- Established daily mindfulness practice of at least two years.
- Ongoing, daily, sitting meditation practice
- Ongoing practice of loving-kindness and self-compassion in daily life
- Attendance in at least one 5-day silent teacher-led residential meditation retreat of any kind, at a location of your choosing. (You can also find a list of local retreat centers on the country-specific webpages, or attend one of the silent retreats offered by MSC teachers)
- Previous participation in an 8-week MSC course or 5-day MSC Intensive. 2-day Core Skills Workshops, Online MSC and shorter workshops do not satisfy this criteria.
- Experience teaching meditation in groups, such as Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction, or in clinical settings
- You must allow at least 6 months to elapse between completing your MSC course and beginning Teacher Training. This will allow you to reflect on whether you really want to begin the teaching journey. However, you may register for teacher training at any time after you complete the MSC course.
- You do not have to be a mental health clinician to take the MSC Teacher Training.
Participation in the teacher training is subject to approval by the teacher trainers.
The following reading is highly recommended, but not required, before the teacher training:
- Kristin Neff: Self-Compassion: The Proven Power of Being Kind to Yourself
- Christopher Germer: The Mindful Path to Self-Compassion