This user has not added any information to their profile yet.
I began teaching mindfulness in 2011 and regularly teach Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) and Mindful Self-Compassion (MSC) courses for the general public, for GPs, and within the workplace. In addition to 8-week courses I offer day and weekend retreats as well as ongoing monthly groups (mindfulness / self-compassion), drop in sessions and other workshops by arrangement. I became Certified as an MSC teacher in 2016 and have regularly taught 5-day intensive Mindful Self-Compassion courses and Mindfulness and Self-Compassion retreats for Bangor University and now teach both for the Mindfulness Network and privately. I assisted Chris Germer and colleagues on an MSC Teacher Training program in Massachusetts in 2018 and am now a fully fledged MSC Teacher Trainer, most recently co-training the latest cohort of teachers to train in the UK in February 2019. I am also a supervisor and mentor for mindfulness and MSC teachers.
I taught Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) when working in the NHS where I was Manager of the Primary Care Counselling Service for Southampton. I have been fully self-employed as a mindfulness and self-compassion teacher since leaving the NHS in 2014 after 18 years. I am based in Hampshire, England, UK.
• MSC Teacher Trainer, Senior Practicum Trainer and Zoom Consultation host for teachers in training
• Certified Teacher Mindful Self-Compassion, Center for Mindful Self-Compassion, San Diego
• MSc Teaching Mindfulness-Based Courses (distinction), University of Bangor
• Trained mindfulness supervisor, University of Bangor
• Certificate of Competence in Teaching Mindfulness-Based Courses (advanced), University of Bangor
• Diploma in Casework Supervision
• Advanced Diploma Client-Centred Therapy
• MA Culture & Social Change
• BA (Hons) Cultural Studies
Teaching Training Specialisms
• MBSR for general populations, GPs, and in workplace settings
• Mindful Self-Compassion for general populations
• Post-MBSR and post-Mindful Self-Compassion practice support and development
I have mentored and supervised mindfulness teachers and teachers in training since 2014 and have attended CMRP training in mindfulness supervision. I have also attended training in use of the Mindfulness-Based Interventions : Teacher Assessment Criteria (MBI:TAC). I have a previous qualification (2001) and lengthy experience in counselling supervision.
• Mindful Self-Compassion
• Mindfulness and MSC Teachers in Training (including use of the MBI:TAC, MSC:TAC)
I have had a regular personal mindfulness practice since 2010 following the core practices of MBSR, and developed this further to incorporate self-compassion practices since 2013. My movement practice is enhanced by regular yoga classes and a love of mindful walking out of doors.
I am nourished and supported in deepening my practice by regular teacher-led retreats, including with teachers such as: Melissa Blacker, David Rynick, Christina Feldman, John Peacock, Chris Cullen, Jaya Rudgard.
Research Activities and Interests
My MSc research explored ongoing support for participants following 8-week training courses. I am particularly interested in this field and feel an ethical responsibility to offer ongoing support to participants post their initial training.
MSc thesis: ‘Getting it under your skin’: experiences of monthly mindfulness practice support groups available on University of Bangor website: https://www.bangor.ac.uk/mindfulness/mastersresearch.php.en
Ali's website - www.mindfulnesshampshire.co.uk