Since the publication of Kristin Neff’s ground-breaking book Self-Compassion, there has been a surge of interest in the science and practice of self-compassion. This has often focused on the tender, nurturing aspect of self-compassion, which involves “being with” ourselves in a compassionate way.
But self-compassion can be fierce as well as tender.
Fierce self-compassion involves:
- Taking action in the world to protect, provide, and motivate ourselves to alleviate suffering and thrive
- Being able to say “no” to others who are hurting us – Beginning to draw our boundaries firmly
- Saying “no” to our own harmful behaviors, so that we can be safe and healthy
- Giving ourselves what we genuinely need – mentally, emotionally, physically and spiritually
This unique course explores the action-oriented side of self-compassion that begins with the inner work of fierce self-compassion. Prior experience with self-compassion is recommended before taking this course. This course will take you one step further as you learn how self-compassion can help you speak up and claim your power.
- Describe how the three key components of self-compassion manifest when protecting ourselves, providing for our needs, and motivating change
- Begin to recognize and transcend the blocks to drawing effective boundaries
- Learn to work with and harness your anger as a constructive support
- Identify your needs and give yourself permission to meet them
- Develop skills to motivate yourself with encouragement rather than criticism
- Understand how fierce self-compassion can be utilized for social change
Throughout the program we will discover that in order to be truly self-compassionate – in order to be whole – we need to integrate both versions of self-compassion, the tender and the fierce.
If we are gentle without fierceness, we risk becoming complacent or disempowered; if we are fierce without tenderness, we risk becoming hostile or selfish. Like a tree with a solid trunk and flexible branches, we need to stand strong while still embracing others as part of an interdependent whole. We need love in our hearts so we don’t perpetuate harm, but we need fierceness in our belly to stand up to harm.
Who Should Attend?
This course is open to anyone who has completed the 8-wk or 10-wk Mindful Self-Compassion Course, the 5-Day Intensive MSC Course or the MSC Core Skills Workshop.
Recommended Reading: Fierce Self-Compassion, How Women Can Harness Kindness to Speak up, Claim Their Power, and Thrive by Kristin Neff.
Also recommended: Fierce Self-Compassion 3-hr Workshop with Dr. Kristin Neff.
General Registration Fee: $595
We have limited need-based scholarships if you require financial assistance, but please know that we provide them on a first come, first served basis. If you would like to apply for one, please click the following link: Scholarship Application.
Please review our refund policy here.